b-hebrew - Genesis 1 & 2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Genesis 1 & 2
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:19:46 +0100

I have to say that I completely fail to see how Genesis 2 can be called an
account of
creation of the world. The account lacks any mention of astonomical bodies,
speaks
only of beautiful trees producing edible substances (thereby lacking mention
of the
vast majority of plant life), and completely fails to mention swarming
things, creeping
things, sea things, etc. in the account, restricting itself to fowls, cattle,
and beasts of
the field.

Mentioning of the rivers seems to locate the story in a specific geographical
area, and
the type of trees and animals seem to indicate to me that the story is
relating the
creation of the Garden of Eden. This supposition is STRONGLY reinforced by
Gen 2:8.
The sequence of events, creation of man, creation of garden (which did not
meet all
his needs), the creation of animals (which did not meet all his needs), and
finally the
creation of woman (who met all his needs) seem to tell me that, from a
literary stand
point, the theme of the account is the creation of woman, using the creation
of the
garden as plot device.

This is opposed to the first chapter, which is the creation of man, using the
creation
of the universe as a plot device. Or the 1st chapter can be what it most
plainly seems
to be, the creation of the world, which mentions the creation of man as a plot
element, and the 2nd chapter is thematically the creation of man and woman,
given
form through the creation of the garden.

Anyway, back to my opening sentence, I really fail to see that the 2nd
chapter can be
considered an account of the creation of the world, and am wondering what
makes
this illustious fraternity of PhD laden Hebrew scholars think that Gen 2 is
an account
of the creation of the world that has any place being compared to Gen 1 at
all? If my
presumptions are correct, the culprit is the religionsgeschichtliche
worldview, which
causes scholars to believe that Gen 2 is a much older account of creation of
the
world than Gen 1, as it cannot be as highly evolved, because it completely
fails as an
account of the creation of the world. But isn't the fact that Gen 2 seems to
be a
primitive failure of an account of the creation of the world also evidence
that it is not
an account of the creation of the world?

My next question is, even if the accounts are two separate accounts pieced
together
(as I believe), does that dictate that they both be considered contending and
contradictory accounts of the creation of the entire world?

Fundamentally speaking, I would like to know what causes modern scholarship to
reject the plainest and most logical conclusion that Genesis 2 is an account
of the
creation of Eden taking place sometime during or after the events of the last
parts of
chapter 1-2:4? Am I right about it being the suppositions about various
stages of
evolution of early Canaanite religion? If so, from where does this view get
its staying
power? It certainly has the strength to stifle any other analytical venues
that modern
scholarship could produce, and has indeed become a sacrosant monolith among
scholars.

For me, the logical thematic development of Genesis 2 did not even become
apparent
until I had discarded the notion that Gen 2 is a creation account. Only after
doing this
was I able to see the account as an account of the creation of woman, and/or
mankind, and/or paradise was I able to view the story with any kind of
respect, for
these tasks it accomplishes with beautiful organization. As an account of the
world is
it indeed a primitive rambling of the creation of a few random subjects and
oddly
described phenomenon. Apparently the primitives that wrote it lived in an
area of only
beautiful and edible trees? With no fish or bugs? Nice place! Completely
contradictory
to every creation account the world has ever known, however, which state that
we
came from Chaos.

But I would really appreciate answers to some of these questions. Not one
soul on
here responded to my post about the possibility of supposedly older OT books
written
in Late Biblical Hebrew being late translations of older works. How this post
is
received will combine with the absolute lack of response to my last one to
form my
opinion of how modern scholarship deals with ideas that do not conform to
established dogmas of biblical criticism.

Jonathan Bailey
MA Kandidat
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien
Heidelberg