b-hebrew - Re[2]: New Subscriber

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: New Subscriber
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:03:51 -0500

Dear Ian,

I don't want to defend Michael. But it does come oddly from you to
require anyone to prove anything. As far as I can tell your method is
one which makes anything to do with the past more-or-less unprovable
in principle, and that applies equally to proving things wrong as to
proving things right. So don't expect Michael to do something which
you don't believe (word chosen deliberately!) that he could do even in
principle, even if in fact his belief was a true one. His
presuppositions are of course very different from yours. I suggest you
let him keep them. More than one can play at the game of ridiculing
others' presuppositions and basic beliefs, but I don't think this list
is the place for it.

Peter Kirk