b-hebrew - Re: a new reading, jonah 2?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Studium Biblicum Franciscanum <sbfnet AT netvision.net.il>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: a new reading, jonah 2?
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:19:26 +0200

On 05/10/99 (a new reading, jonah 2?) Vincent DeCaen wrote:

i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this idea:

yesobebeni, end jonah 2:4a

if you buy my metrical analysis (immaculate pentameter), you'd have an
enjambement at this point.

however, is it possible to read 2:4a ending with wenahar? against the
accents? it would actually be nicer from a syntactic/parallel point of
view.

Dear Vincent,

I would suggest to have a look at my analysis of the poetic passage from the book of Jonah published in _Liber Annuus_ 46 (1996), pages 26-31. Actually, the whole book is examined there from the point of view of syntax.

Jonah 2:4 is translated there as follows: "You cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, while the flood was around me." The principles gained from the analysis of prose texts are applied there to the poetic text.

I am ready to supply off list a summary of the above paper for those who have no access to the Annual of my Institution in Jerusalem.

Peace and all good.

Alviero Niccacci
Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Tel. +972 - 2 - 6282 936
POB 19424 - 91193 - Jerusalem Fax +972 - 2 - 6264 519
Israel
Home Page: http://198.62.75.1/www1/ofm/sbf/SBFmain.html
Email mailto:sbfnet AT netvision.net.il