b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not dei

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: Can Hebrew "tense" be relative to context not dei
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 6:14:13

Niccatti wrote:

(I am glad to see "Niccatti" on the list again; What he writes always
stimulates me! Thanks)

In BH historical narrative, the 'deictic point' is the past and the
'reference time' of wayyiqtol coincides with the 'deictic point.' In
H. Weinrich's terms, this narrative wayyiqtol indicates the 'degree
zero,' or the mainline of communication; conversely, qatal and yiqtol
(actually [waw-] x-qatal and [waw-] x-yiqtol, i.e. second-place qatal
and yiqtol) indicate an information or event that is anterior or
posterior to the 'degree zero,' respectively.

Niccatti seems to define the "deictic point" differently than Peter and
others do. For many, the deitic point is the speech time (ST), the
time point in history at. But Niccatti seems to think that the deitic point
is the reference time zero (RT0).
Once we are in a given narrarive, we need other reference times RT1, RT2,
etc., relative to which situations are described. We may use nested
reference times: RT1 is relative to RT0, and RT2 is relative
RT1, etc. I think that this understanding of reference time is
reasonable by analogy to the way we describe locations. When
describe some place to other people, we use a lot of reference locations.
So is when we explain situations to others.

Anyway, Niccatti seems to think that we do not need the notion of the
speech time. The speaker directly goes to the reference time zer0 (RT0),
wherever it is, when they want to describe situations. So, why bother with
the speech time, which seems quite redundant?
But I am not sure if I understood Niccatti correctly.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Associate Professor
Dept of Computer Science