b-hebrew - Re: 40 days/nights

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 40 days/nights
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:46:33 +0200

Mark,

I'd agree with the "literal" understanding of days/nights except for what
seems to be
an idom whereby X days and nights might be literally X minus one nights.

E.g. 1 Samuel 30:12-13 describes an Amalekite's servant who fell sick and was
abandoned "three days ago" - e.g. if today's Monday, he fell sick and was
abandoned
Saturday -, but it also says he hadn't eaten or drank for 3 days and 3 nights
- which
I suppose could be literally true but I don't think we have to conclude he
didn't eat
Friday evening or Saturday morning before he was left to die.

Similarly Jesus said he would be "3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the
earth" (from
which some folks insist he was crucified on a Thursday but then that gives 4
days and
3 nights) but also that he would rise "on the 3rd day."

Yours,

John