b-hebrew - Re[2]: Rohl (was: yrw$lym)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Rohl (was: yrw$lym)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 16:46:58 -0400

Dear Ian,

I have no brief to defend Rohl. But he does examine many of the links
you mention here. There does seem to be a problem with the Sea Peoples
in his thesis as far as I have read it, he seems to identify the
Philistines in the Biblical accounts with Hittites.

I do want to defend Rohl against the charge that he has ignored the
account of Sheshonq I's campaign in Palestine. He looks in detail at a
list of cities attacked which is on "the Bubastite Portal" on "the
southern outer wall of the hypostyle hall at Karnak". Is this the same
as your "the southern end of the pylon of Ramses I at the temple of
Karnak"? It is odd that the account of Rameses II's invasion of
Palestine is at the other end of the same wall! Rohl gives eight pages
to Sheshonq's campaign ("A Test of Time" pp.120-127) and especially to
the list of cities attacked (admittedly partly illegible). Rohl shows
that Sheshonq mostly kept north and west of Judah, attacking only one
(Aijalon) of Rehoboam's 15 fortified cities of Judah listed in 2
Chronicles 11. Rohl speculatively reinterprets this campaign to fit the
reign of Joash of Judah and Jehoahaz of Israel, with Sheshonq as the
mysterious "saviour" of 2 Kings 13:5 c. 800 BCE (pp.307,377).

I am looking forward to getting on to Rohl's sections on the Conquest
and the early monarchy, to examine his data on how the Biblical data
ties up with such things as the Amarna letters and the archaeology of
Jericho. Of course another approach to such correspondences could be to
redate the Biblical narrative e.g. to push the time of Saul and David
back to the Amarna period.

There are of course many problems with Rohl's theory. He has also
identified a number of problems with the traditional theory, enough to
suggest the need for closer study of the problem. I would have
expected you, who are so keen to reject accepted interpretations of
Israelite history and go back to the raw data, would welcome those who
try to do the same with the history of Egypt, and would at least study
their proposals carefully.

Peter Kirk