b-hebrew - Re[2]: JER 27:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <furuli AT online.no>
  • Subject: Re[2]: JER 27:18
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:18:29 -0400

Dear Rolf,

You are doing just what you were so rightly complaining about others
doing: adjusting the text (an imperative!) to fit your own
understanding of Hebrew grammar.

Peter Kirk

_________________________________
Subject: Re: JER 27:18
Author: <furuli AT online.no> at Internet
Date: 22/09/1999 16:21

<snip>

I agree that the Masoretic pointing suggests that B)W is a plural
imperative, but because this is excluded by the context, we have to accept
that the form is a variant to BF)W (perhaps as an analogy with BW$W); we
find such variants with several verbs, so I see no real problem with such a
suggestion. That the form is a QATAL is admitted by several commentators,
from B. Davidson in the last century to the Gramcord text at present. In MT
there are 155 examples of L:BIL:TIY with a following infinitive construct,
including 20 in the book of Jeremiah, 1 example with a following participle
(Jer 17:23), 2 with a following YIQTOL (Ex 20:20; 2 Sam 14:14), and 3
examples (in addition to our example) with following QATALs (Is 44:10; Jer
23:14; Ezek 13:3). There are no examples of a following imperative. Some
QATALs with future meaning nearby are JER 20:11 (BW$); 22:23 (XNN) 25:14,
((BD) 31 (NTN).

So the problem remains: We have to account for a QATAL with future/modal
meaning.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli