b-hebrew - Re[4]: yrw$lym

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: yrw$lym
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:47:21 -0400

Dear Ian,

You make it all too obvious that you haven't read Rohl. When you write
"His basics seem to be if it conflicts with the bible then reinvent",
I could retort that it takes one to know one, but in fact (as far as I
have read, which is only part of the way through his first book) Rohl
is discrediting not the Bible but rather the interpretations and
interrelationships which scholars over the centuries have put on it.
He writes: "My point of departure from the stance of Thomas L.
Thompson, for example, is my preparedness to accept that the Old
Testament narratives are as valid a source for ancient history as any
other ancient document" (from "A Note on Methodology", in "A Test of
Time", p.38), and he seems to stick to that. Of course he is writing
for an audience interested in the historicity of the Hebrew
scriptures, and he knows it. I really think you ought to read at least
Rohl's note on methodology before commenting further on his
methodology.

Peter Kirk