b-hebrew - Re: Stress in written Hebrew (DSS)?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Henry Churchyard <churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stress in written Hebrew (DSS)?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:35:14 -0500 (CDT)

Well, the masoretic accentual system, when properly interpreted,
reveals a normal pattern of phrase-final prosodic prominence in the
masoretic recitation pronunciation, at a number of hierarchical levels
(see chapter 3 of my dissertation, or Wickes 1887 for that matter) --
but this may or may not be particularly relevant for Qumran. Your
asterisks and plusses against a bare consonantal text are still rather
unhelpful as device for provoking detailed and constructive
discussion, since the linguistic validity of plusses and asterisks as
locations for phrasal prominence can only be evaluated against a full
concrete linguistic intepretation of the passage (and not against an
abstract uninterpreted consonantal text hanging in the void). I could
compare the masoretic accentual parse of the _masoretic linguistic
interpretation_ of this passage with the locations of your plusses and
asterisks, but I have no idea if you would find that at all useful.

--
Henry Churchyard churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/