b-hebrew - Re: Stress in written Hebrew (DSS)?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Stress in written Hebrew (DSS)?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:38:41 +0200

Thanks for your response, Henry.

What I was interested in was the possibility of some form of sentence
stress being encoded in a particular manner in the DSS. The article claimed
that it could show stress indicated at a *sentence* level from the way a
sentence was written. The author claims that all texts were written to be
read aloud and that that reading, at least in the DSS, was facilitated.

>> Ex 4:28-31 [..], primary (+) and secondary (*) [stress]

I noticed in the sending that the stress indications were moved for some
reason by one character, let me try again

1 'hr]n 't kl dbry yhwh '[$r
*

2 $lxw w't kl h'tt '$r cwhw wylx m$h[
* * *

3 w'hrn wy's pw 't kl zkny bny y$r'l wydbr
+ * * * + * +

4 'hrn 't kl hdbrym '$r dbr yhwh 'l m[
+ + *

5 wy`]$ h'tt l`yny h`m wym`n
+ * + *

6 ] yhwh 't bny y[$r'l
*

>Not quite sure what you're asking -- about the prosodic and
>constituency information transcribed in the Tiberian masoretic
>accentual orthography (which only applies to the Tiberian masoretic
>pronunciation, of course),

The method claimed to have been used in the DSS is based on spacing between
letters.

>or about any Biblical recitation
>pronunciation used at Qumran itself (concerning which almost nothing
>can be directly known)?

This is what I'm interested in finding out. Can it be known? The article
claims it can. So, I thought by showing how stress was shown in the article
one might be able to decide.

Ian