b-hebrew - Re[2]: Jerusalem, definitions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Jerusalem, definitions
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:12:40 -0400

Just in case there is any confusion, this case is quite different from
that of Jerusalem. MICRAYIM is a dual form derived from a well-known
root MCR which is attested even today in the Arabic name for Egypt,
which is Misir. As someone pointed out, there is no singular root or
stem form like YERUSHAL of which YERUSHALAYIM can be the dual.

Peter Kirk