b-hebrew - Re: Jerusalem, definitions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jerusalem, definitions
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:18:38 -0400

Solomon Landers wrote.

> In Hebrew, Egypt is mitsrayim, supposedly reflecting Middle Egyptian
> terminology of the "two Egypts" (upper and lower Egypt)

I wonder whether the dual ending of mitsrayim has to do with the upper and
lower, red and black, duality of Egypt reflected in the combined crowns of
the Two Lands, or whether it has to do with Egypt's comprising, for most of
its length, two narrow bands of arable land adjoining the banks of the
Nile.

Lewis Reich