b-hebrew - Re: The form of weqatal (really wayyiqtol)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The form of weqatal (really wayyiqtol)
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 23:11:01 -0700

John,
We have been over this many, many, many times over a stretch of
at least 2 years. I have presented my view both online and in print,
and apparently the editors of such journals as Hebrew Studies
thought it had enough merit to publish. When I presented it to the
SBL a few years ago, one major scholar among the listeners said
the view had "the potential to revolutionize study of Hebrew
grammar," and that's a direct quote (I taped the session). As I said
before, you're free to harangue all you want, but if all you want to
do is whine and make fun, don't expect me to take you seriously.
My position and the material that supports it is well documented,
as a simple trip through the archives (and the journals) would have
told you. I won't try to interact with this kind of drivel. If you have
something constructive to say, let's hear it. Otherwise, I suggest
you find something else to do.

> Dave wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Dave, you're asking us to believe that wayyiqtol is a verb form that (1)
> > > NEVER takes the conjunction, though all other verb forms do; (2) NEVER
> > > is preceded by things that precede other verbs like KIY, 'ASHER, LO',
> > > etc. etc.
> >
> > I see nothing extraordinary about (2), since it's well known that
> > wayyiqtol in fact isn't preceded by any of these particles.
>
> It's not extraordinary if the WA- of wayyiqtol is the familiar conjunction,
> but it is
> extremely extraordinary, odd, and unbelievable if it's not. How do you
> explain that
> wayyiqtol is a finite verb form that is never in the whole Hebrew Bible
> negated?
>
> Why doesn't Gen 1:5 read
> wayyiqra' Elohim la'or yom, welaxoshek wayyiqra laylah
>
> Similar question for thousands of other examples!
>
> You're serious about this?
>
> John
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: dwashbur AT nyx.net

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Oh, no! They've all become giant Swiss lederhosen-clad
dancing yodelers!" "Talk about unpredictable!" - P&B