b-hebrew - Re[2]: The "times" of Isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: The "times" of Isaiah
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:35:01 -0400

Dear Rolf,

To answer your questions in reverse:

2) I don't know. I wish I did and hope to look into this. Perhaps
WEQATAL as a separate conjugation developed from "future perfect" WE-
plus QATAL under the influence of analogy with WAYYIQTOL. In passages
like Exodus 25-30 it seems to me clearly distinct from WE- plus QATAL
and analogous to WAYYIQTOL, i.e. sequential, but with non-past and/or
modal meaning. It may not be possible to make a definite distinction
between two conjugations, rather there may be a range of meanings. So
I would accept a broad range of meanings for WEQATAL, more so than for
other conjugations, while maintaining the distinction (at least in
principle though occasionally blurred in the Masoretic text) between
WAYYIQTOL and WEYIQTOL.

1) This is a tricky one to answer as I am not sure how to deal with
the concept of reference time in cases like this of general (gnomic)
and/or habitual actions. The writer clearly has in mind the idea that
these events have taken place in the past, continue at present (as a
generalisation, i.e. there is not necessarily an ironsmith hammering
at the very minute that the prophet is writing), and will doubtless
continue in the future.

I am also not convinced of the value of such an analysis by reference
time and deictic point for biblical Hebrew. If such an analysis simply
defines whether an event is past, present or future with reference to
the time of writing, it is clear that all verb forms can (at least in
unusual circumstances) be any one of these three, and that the
distinction (if made at all - in this instance it is not) is largely a
pragmatic one. One might therefore conclude that Hebrew is "tenseless"
(though that may depend on definitions). But that result merely
confirms that this analysis has got us precisely nowhere in terms of
understanding the Hebrew verb forms.

(This tenseless analysis depends on an understanding of YIQTOL and
WEQATAL forms as modal or habitual rather than non-past. Well, at
least this explains the "prophetic perfect": in general future actions
were considered uncertain and so "modal", but for the prophets God's
future actions were certain and so not "modal". But I remain to be
convinced that there is no time element involved.)

To me the relevant point here for analysis of Hebrew verbs is not the
relationship of the deictic point to the time of writing but rather
the relationship between the deictic points or event times of the
successive clauses within the passage. For example, in Isaiah 44:12,
let us look at a single instance of this habitual action i.e. one
ironsmith making one idol. In this case I would see the event time as
advancing in lines 2,3,4 below (as regularly with WAYYIQTOL), but in 5
(as regularly with X-QATAL) the new deictic point is before the
previously established event time, and it establishes a new event
time, which advances in 6; again at 7 a new event time is established
(equivalent to that in 5) which advances again in 8.

1 The ironsmith fashions it: verbless
2 FIRST he works it over the coals; WEQATAL
3 THEN he shapes it with hammers, X-YIQTOL
4 I.E. he forges it with his strong arm; WAYYIQTOL
5 MEANWHILE he becomes hungry X-QATAL
6 SO THAT his strength fails, verbless
7 ALSO he drinks no water X-QATAL
8 and AS A RESULT is faint. WAYYIQTOL

I hope this helps you to understand how I am viewing this passage and
its potential usefulness in understanding the Hebrew verb system. I
expect that from such a starting point we can get past the rather
negative "everything is pragmatic" arguments and start to make real
progress on understanding the subtle semantic distinctions between
various verb forms.

Peter Kirk