b-hebrew - Re: Translation: Ps. 118:26a (MT)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Polychroni <upb_moniodis AT ONLINE.EMICH.EDU>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Translation: Ps. 118:26a (MT)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:09:45 -0400

At 04:04 PM 7/16/99 -0400, you wrote:

>So anyway, some have, giving up on the Greek argument, having
>claimed that the Hebrew does not support my translation. Well, I
>know almost no Hebrew, so I'm turning to this list for help.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Polychroni Moniodis

The Hebrew text will not bear your rendering. Hebrew puts the stress on
importance by placement in the sentence- thus the most important elements
are first and less important or emphatic ideas are placed later in the
clause or sentence.
A very literal rendering of this phrase is:
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of Yahweh.
Blessed is a passive participle.
The one who comes is a present participle
in the name of is a prepositional phrase
and Yahweh is the name in which that one comes.

Thus, the very structure of the sentence makes your rendering unlikely.
Further, the Greek wont really bear your rendition either.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net