b-hebrew - Reliability of Josephus, compared with NT and MT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Reliability of Josephus, compared with NT and MT
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:09:18 -0400

Well, Josephus may have claimed to be translating Hebrew originals.
His claim looks a little thin when he is at that point (AJ 10,10,6)
making a very abbreviated precis of an Aramaic original (Daniel 4) -
or perhaps he didn't know the difference between Hebrew and Aramaic?
;-) Josephus would not be the last person who claimed to be
translating the Bible from the original but was actually rephrasing an
existing translation, and he was clearly a man capable of such
"economy with the truth".

So to continue the important digression (not a "red herring") we have
got into, and to extend the comparison to the Hebrew Scriptures (as
appropriate to this list) as well as to the New Testament, see my
comments interspersed below.

Peter Kirk