b-hebrew - Re: Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Translation
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:22:26 -0400

On 13 Jul 99, at 16:28, gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU wrote:

> I believe it is Mem, Taw, Samekh, Lamed, Mem.
>
> How could it be a Shin in there; that would make it "mitaSHlem," which is
> not what I wrote.

Could be that Jim thought, as I did, of the sin, which differs from the
shin only in the placement of the dot; just as the one might say "bet"
in referring to both forms of the letter (with(bet) and without (vet) the
dagesh), one might similarly refer to the sin as a shin.

Lewis Reich
lewreich AT javanet.com