b-hebrew - Re: Hasmonean Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Fred P Miller <fmoeller AT ao.net>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hasmonean Bible
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:18:05 -0400

Jonathan D. Safren wrote:

> I haven't been following the argument, but isn't the argument for the late
> dating of Daniel based, inter alia, on the use of Aramaic, the use of Greek
> words (sumponia, psalterion, etc.), the inaccuracies in the Judaean and
> Persian chronology in the text?
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan D. Safren

Yes it is true that arguments for a late date for Daniel are based on internal
evidence only. The material in Daniel 11 especially and the 2300 day
prophecy of
chapter 8 is too detailed to be anything other than the truth or a clever
literary
device (a fraud) written after the facts. There is plenty of HISTORICAL
reference
evidence to date Daniel earlier than the Macabbean period but no empirical
evidence,
nor quotations of the book of Daniel in literature that can be dated before
Antiochus
Epiphanes, about 165 BCE, which is the critical date. The only historical