b-hebrew - RE: Eli Eli Lama Azbatany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jay Childs <childs AT mciworld.com>
  • To: 'yahua'sef' <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: "'<b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>'" <<b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>>
  • Subject: RE: Eli Eli Lama Azbatany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:25:48 -0500

Shalom, Yahua'sef:

I translated Tehillim 22 a couple of years ago and, 1) not to pick nits,
but I think that the MT pronounces it "azavtany", right?, 2) if
[Yeshua/Ishua] spoke Aramaic, he may simply be more familiar with the
version in the Aramaic Targum. He knew the Hebrew, of course, and probably
read the Isaiah scroll in the synagogue in the Holy Tongue, but may have
read and/or sung the Tehillim at home in household Aramaic.

3) For me, the bigger question is how to translate 'lamah'. As English
speakers, we find that it cozily fits the niche that our 'why' occupies,
but the more literal would render either "for what" or "to what." Any
thoughts on that?