b-hebrew - Eli Eli Lama Azbatany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Eli Eli Lama Azbatany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:16:32 -0400 (EDT)

Shalom To the List:

In the book of Tehilim chapter 22:1 we have the direct quote from David as
to what Ishua said on the execution stake:

"My God, My God why hast thou "forsaken me". In Ivrit(hebrew) this is:

"Eli Eli Lama Azbatany"

BUT

In when Ishua is on the cross He is recorded to have said

"Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani" in Mattityahu/Matthew chapter 27.

So we have a toss up. The word Azbatany or Sabachthani.

Here is the definition for Azbatany:

05800 `azab {aw-zab'}
a primitive root; TWOT - 1594,1595; v
AV - forsake 129, leave 72, leave off 4, faileth 2, fortify 2, help 2,
committeth 1, destitute 1, refuseth 1, surely 1; 215 1) to leave, loose,
forsake 1a) (Qal) to leave 1a1) to depart from, leave behind, leave, let
alone 1a2) to leave, abandon, forsake, neglect, apostatise 1a3) to let
loose, set free, let go, free 1b) (Niphal) 1b1) to be left to 1b2) to be
forsaken 1c) (Pual) to be deserted 2) to restore, repair 2a) (Qal) to
repair Here is Sabachthany: In the lexicon there is a questi
on mark beside this word!!!!!!!!!

4518 sabachthani {sab-akh-than-ee'}
of Aramaic or 07662 with pronominal suffix;; Aramaic transliteration AV -
sabachthani 2; 2 1) thou hast forsaken me. It is said that this word
corresponds to the word Shebaq which is number 7662:

07662 sh@baq (Aramaic) {sheb-ak'} corresponding to the root of 07733; TWOT
- 3018; v AV - leave 4, let alone 1; 5 1) to leave, let alone 1a) (P'al)
to llet alone 1b) (Ithpael) to be left

Why if this is a direct quote from Davud would he then not say Azbatany
and say Sabachthani?

Why in the world would Ishua say "why hast thou forsaken me ANYWAY?"!!!!!
he would already know the answer to such a question, supposedly according
to Christian mythology.

One word means he said "why hast thou FORSAKEN me" While the other says
something entirely different? Religious discussion aside, what grammatical
explanation can be asserted here?

Shalom!

Wondell M. Rachman