b-hebrew - Re: Psalm 17:4-5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Psalm 17:4-5
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 21:04:12 -0400

Dear Dave,

The infinitive absolute is fairly often used as a command
form (see Gesenius section 113bb), so I think you are on the
right track to view it as volitional. Maybe it sounded to
the native something like "A sustaining, I pray!" I would
translate it as an English imperative, "...sustain my steps
in your cart-paths, so my footfalls are not shaken."

Relating 4a to the rest, might we think that the initial
phrase refers to the wicked tendencies of mankind, so that
the lamed has the sense of "because"? A sort of
paraphrase-translation would be something like, "O, because
of the [wicked] works of mankind! But as for me, it is by
the word of your lips that I watch out for the trails of the
highwayman." So the personna sees himself as avoiding
ambush and foolish mistakes in a dangerous pathway.

Just my 2 shqalim.

Bryan

> This passage has some difficulties that I find
fascinating. I'd like to
> offer a translation and have the list critique it. Here's
the translation:

> Concerning the deeds of men, by the word of Your lips I
have kept
> watch on the path of the robber [NIV: violent] so my feet
may cling
> to your paths (instead), lest my feet should stumble.
>
> The biggest question that I see has to do with the inf.
absolute
> TFMOK at the beginning of v.5. BHS suggests reading it as
> qatal 3pl, but doesn't give any ms. justification for the
emendation.
> I'm thinking it might be a modal of some sort, giving a
sense
> something like "I'm watching that road to be sure and
avoid it."
> This, I think, makes sense out of $FMAR:TIY )FRXOWT
PFRIYC,
> which seems like a rather odd phrase. BHS even suggests
moving
> the soph pasuq up 2 words so it comes right after
$FMAR:TIY, and
> I can see why even though I'm not to that point yet.

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13206

(office) 315.437.6744
(home) 315.479.8267

  • Psalm 17:4-5, Dave Washburn, 05/11/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Psalm 17:4-5, Bryan Rocine, 05/11/1999