b-hebrew - Re: Tidbits from Ruth (Bryan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tidbits from Ruth (Bryan)
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:00:39 -0400

Dear John:
you wrote:
> Dear Bryan,
>
> You wrote, re. my comment on Num 13:16:
>
> > <...>
> > It is off-the-line or "background" information in the
main
> > narrative as is the entirety of vv. 13:3b-20. At the
same
> > time, the wayyiqtols *within* this off-the-line section
are
> > indeed sequential within the off-the-line section.
>
> You mean Moses issued the spies instructions after he sent
them off?

please... :-/

<snip>
> the spies, but I think the context indicates this is
simply a parenthetical remark to
> explain who "Hoshea" is in the list of spies [Moses called
Hoshea . . . "Joshua"] -
> when Moses gave him his new name is unknown to us, but the
name has been used in
> direct speech as early as Exod 17:14).

parenthetical...off-the-line...What is parenthetical is
off-the-line, but I think off-the-line is a more inclusive
term. Part of your playing hard to get, I suspect, is your
uncomfortability, not with the concepts of discourse
analysis, but with its terminology. Grant us a terminology.
Cut us some slack.

> > History does not happen linearly. Two lines of
development
> > or ten lines of development can occur simultaneously or
> > intertwine. Yet language is linear because the
communicator
> > can only say one thing at a time. Linear language needs
> > mechanisms by which it can accurately talk about a
> > non-linear reality.

<snip>

> If two wayyiqtols were used you would come to the same
conclusion anyway since it's
> obvious that many wayyiqtols are overlapping in time, and
people don't need to be
> informed about separate lines of development (what exactly
is that supposed to mean,
> anyway?).

Are you serious?

Linguistically there is *need* and there is *option*.
Writers and readers don't need morpho-syntactic signals for
a separate line of development if a change in time, scene,
or cast of characters is made clear. But the signal eases
the transition. Since it guides, the writer may exercise
one of his options for a signal. Also, when there is a
change in scene and/or cast of characters, we like to have
an indication of what happened time-wise. Do the events in
one line of development (for example, with cast of
characters a and in place b) happen before, during or after
another line(with cast of characters c at place d)?

Conversely, I think any unbiased reader would agree that the
appearance of
> the glory of the Lord is sequential to the Israelites
saying that Joshua and Caleb
> should be stoned (just as wayyera' kebod YHWH is used
sequentially in Num 16:19 and
> 20:6).

So I'm biased! ;-) You might consider that an X-qatal
clause is not functionally equivalent with a wayyiqtol
clause, that there is more going on with the syntax than an
emphasis on an X element. Might the X-Qatal clause signal a
break in the flow of the discourse? It would be worth your
studying.

>Anyway, Hebrew has ways of clearly indicating simultaneity,
such as with an
> infinitive construct, or participle; X + qatal is not
needed for that.

I don't get your "not needed." Do you mean X-qatal is not
*used* to express simultaneity? hmmm.

> > Personally, I prefer not to use the term "background"
for
> > all off-the-line material because I think it connotes
"less
> > important," "less emphasized," which is often not the
case.
> > I think discourse grammarians have a special meaning for
the
> > word background that is quite appropriate, but I think
it is
> > difficult for English speakers to forget the more
common,
> > colloquial signification of the word.
>
> I think "off-line" is just as bad a characterization of
the appearance of the glory of
> the Lord as "background." It would be like the orchestra
in a western playing
"background music" at the appearance of the cavalry just in
time to save the settlers
from massacre.

Caricature is not a scholarly means of argument. Anyway,
you don't like off-the-line? how about "side trips and
stops"? ;-) During a tour, some of the most touching,
informative, or memorable sights are viewed on the side
trips and little stops.

Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor