b-hebrew - Phoenetically similar?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Phoenetically similar?
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:00:43 -0400 (EDT)

Shalom Alaikhem,

I was reading Gerald Massey's "A Book Of Beginnings" vol. II,
chapter XI (Comparative Vocabulary of Hebrew and Egyptian Words)
and chapter XIX (Compartive Vocabulary of Akkado-Assyrian and Egyptian
Words)

on page 2 we have:

"al - ancient name of the supreme diety, interchages with Baal"
next to "ar or Har, the son, the Lord" (Heru)
Also don't forget the Chaldean's consider "el" to be "sun".

on page 445 we have
"el (Akk) - splendour" next to "her - heaven, day" (Heru)
also
"eli (Assyrian) - over" next to "ari - ascent, lintel; her - over (Heru)"

Are the "r" and "l" interchangable, such as in the case in some Oriental
Languages, for instance Nihongo (Japanese)?

I realise that "he" and "e" could be equivalent being that "h" is often a
silent consonant.

Shalom!