b-hebrew - Re[4]: qumran (was ruth)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: qumran (was ruth)
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:24:10 -0400

I am working on the generally accepted theory that LXX was translated
in Alexandria in 3rd-2nd century BC. I think it is generally agreed
that the Alexandrian Jews of this period were losing their Hebrew and
speaking mostly Greek, and that is why the LXX translation had to be
made. There are many cases in LXX where it seems that the translator
misunderstood the Hebrew Vorlage. Does anyone seriously dispute this
reconstruction?

Peter Kirk