b-hebrew - Re[3]: qumran (was ruth)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[3]: qumran (was ruth)
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:19:10 -0400

Dear Rolf,

Thank you for your response. Let me first say a few things about
scientific method. I appreciate your desire to work by falsification
rather than confirmation, and your insistence that just a few
counter-examples are sufficient to falisfy a theory. I am a little
sceptical, especially because of textual difficulties. But with
falsification you have to be very sure of your ground; you need to
confirm your falisification 100%, not just 90%. What I am saying here
is that your alleged falisifications are not at all certain because of
possible alternative explanations. Even if the alternative
explanations are only 10% likely, the falsification fails.

I do not accept that there are any wayyiqtols in Habakkuk with
unambiguously non-past meaning. At least the examples you have given
are not unambiguous. I understand your difficulty with the idea of an
embedded past narrative in a prophecy; perhaps the answer is that
wayyiqtol can be used for sequential narratives even when these are
non-past. Alternatively, perhaps only v.6 is to be taken as predictive
and the rest as desriptive of the Babylonians.

The BHS compilers have taken an alternative and quite possible view of
the wayyiqtols in Habakkuk, that they are mistakes in pointing or
copying for original weyiqtols. This would actually be a very probable
copying error for scribes to harmonise the rare weyiqtol form to the
common wayyiqtol. This is not an argument that these two forms were
originally a single form.

Here is a possible translation of Habakkuk 9-11 (based on the one you
sent):

9 they all come bent on violence.
Their hordes advanced like a desert wind
and gathered (WAYYIQTOL) prisoners like sand.
10 They were deriding kings and scoffing at rulers;
they were laughing at all fortified cities.
They built (WAYYIQTOL) earthen ramps and captured (WAYYIQTOL) them.
11 Then they swept (QATAL) past like the wind
and went on (WAYYIQTOL).
They are guilty men,
whose own strength is their god.

Peter Kirk