b-hebrew - Re: Sender identification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sender identification
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:20:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Lee R. Martin wrote:
> Dear WMR from Georgia State University,
> I agree with Paul that we should give our real names. This list is one
> place where we can
> be open, honest, and genuine. It is not a chat room with imaginary people
> living imaginary
> lives. Our honesty is a refreshing contrast to the usual internet secrecy.
> I enjoy
> talking to real people with real names. Please do not be offended.

Well...I have been open, honest, and genuine. What would make you or
anyone else believe otherwise? I have not deceived anyone, I have not come
with malicious intention, I just came to the list to dialogue and share
information, to learn as much as I can. 'Yahua'sef' is a nickname given to
me so I just chose to bear it in my email.

The concept of 'internet secrecy' is an important one. I don't know about
everyone else but I really value my privacy, and revealing things about
my private or personal life I usually reserve on the most important of
issues or concerns or where I see it relevant to the dialogue. Why is it
so relevant here? Like I said in my previous e-mail, just because one has
a nickname or states their full name does not make them any more dedicated
to the object of learning the concepts taught here.

Why open a can of worms? If this becomes the obligatory rule, then I shall
have to request to be removed from the list. One day its your full name
and background, the net it's your Social Security number and telephone
number. I have not been rude or harmful to others, so I would like to ask
the people here to please reconsider this unwritten policy.

Thank you