b-hebrew - Re[2]: Datum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Datum
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:07:38 -0400

I think this psalm tells us a lot about the perception of Israelite
history at the time when the psalm was written. It seems to be looking
at a time when the people of YHWH had dominion over surrounding
peoples, but those surrounding peoples were seeking to break free
(v.3), perhaps taking the opportunity of the accession of a new king.

This picture fits well with the period of David and Solomon, at least
as described in the books of Samuel, Kings and Chronicles. Perhaps the
specific moment in focus is the accession of Solomon (the "son", not
just of David but also of YHWH). I am not necessarily claiming that
the psalm was written at that time, just that it refers to that time.

On what grounds does Jim West suggest the Maccabean era? The psalm
does not fit that situation as no other peoples were subject to Israel
at that time. Or is he suggesting a psalm about the time of Solomon
written in the Maccabean era?

Peter Kirk