b-hebrew - Copy of: Re[2]: More on wayyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Copy of: Re[2]: More on wayyiqtol
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:41:41 -0400

forgot to add b-hebrew
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: yochanan bitan, 113313,266
TO: INTERNET:peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG, INTERNET:peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
DATE: 4/23/99 16:15

RE: Copy of: Re[2]: More on wayyiqtol

> Well, thank you for answering Randall's and other criticisms of my
> version of the historic present hypothesis. But then I am not sure
> that they or I will be convinced by this argument or at least this
> presentation of it.

you are correct, that does not answer it.
for one, methodologically, it is using the "less clear" to explain the
"clear". [e.g. ugaritic epic poetry, a different language, should yield
lots of puzzling examples, and it does, which is only different in quantity
from our own psalms, though with even less context.]
for two, lam yaktub is a delightful fossil in arabic, and we have it in a
living language tradition.

braxot
randall buth

  • Copy of: Re[2]: More on wayyiqtol, yochanan bitan, 04/25/1999