b-hebrew - Re: Directions to Grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: mjoseph <mjoseph AT terminal.cz>
  • To: "b-Hebrew Digest" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Directions to Grammar
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 99 11:26:58 +0100

Tony Starks wrote:

>I'm about to embark on a journey through "waltke and O'connor's
>Introduction to Biblical hebrew Syntax."Can those who took that journey
>give me some directions on how to get the most from this "grammar"?How did
>you use it and remember the rules of grammar? Those who presently teach
>from this book,how did you aid your students to recall these facts? Any
>MAPS out there?

I can't say that this is a map, nor can I vouch that this is the way to
get the most from the book, but I can tell you what I did. I read through
the entire book, and translated all of the examples. In other words, I
studied it like I was in school.

One other thing--for grammatical features which do multiple duty
(perfective and imperfective especially), at the end of the chapter I did
up a concise outline of the uses of the feature, so I have something like
a mini-handbook with just the facts (different uses of the "tenses,"
"cases," and stems).

The book is easy reading, with enough illustrations near the beginning
that I could read parts of it to my wife (who knows no Hebrew). Enjoy!

Hope this helps,

Mark Joseph