b-hebrew - Re: Reading Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reading Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 08:57:09 +1000

Jim West wrote:

> [...] I would suggest that you start with Dtr. and read Sam and Kings. [...]

Just a caveat: Samuel is notoriously difficult textually, so you will often
come across things
which seem not to make sense either linguistically or textually. This can be
tought going at the
beginner level.

But Jim is right that the Dtr history is a good starting point. I'd suggest
starting with Judges -
it's good prose narrative and has some ripper stories to keep you interested.

Best regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm