b-hebrew - What's going on here?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: mjoseph <mjoseph AT terminal.cz>
  • To: "b-Hebrew Digest" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: What's going on here?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 99 19:57:56 +0100

I didn't get a d-i-g-e-s-t for this l-i-s-t (notice how I'm avoiding
having the s-e-r-v-e-r interpret my words as l-i-s-t c-o-m-m-a-n-d-s) on
either April 5 or 6. Then yesterday, April 7, I did receive the dig-est
(which contained my long p-o-s-t). There was some discussion as to
problems with the list, and Jonathan Robie verified that the server was
having problems.

At the same time, though, I received a note from someone in Germany
stating:

>Adress no longer in use!
>Don't mail any more!!!

Is something going on with b-Hebrew that I need to know about? Or were
the two days of missing dig-ests simply a one-time glitch? Thanks.

While we're on the subject of a-d-m-i-n-i-s-t-r-a-t-i-v-e topics, could I
again, on behalf of the many who neither can use attachments and html,
nor particularly appreciate paying to download them, request that you
send *no* attachments to the list (even if they *don't* contain a virus
;-) and post in plain text.

Peter Kirk writes:

>Meanwhile, perhaps we ought to stick to the established protocol of
>sending text-only postings.

Ken Litwak adds:

>I agree with Peter's suggestion. How about plain, text-only messages?

Emphatic agreement with both.

Dan Oglesby wondered:

>Is anybody else having this problem with my posts?

YES!! Your fascinating post on the early Fathers' realization of the
deity of Christ was almost unreadable with the lines all broken up, and
HTML codes intruding everywhere, not to mention high ASCII numbers (curly
quotes are the most common problem; diacriticals don't work, either)
coming out as gobbledygook on my screen.

Mark Joseph