b-hebrew - RE: Translations and Arian Bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Williams, Wes" <Wes.Williams AT echostar.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Translations and Arian Bias
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:19:02 -0700

Dear Rolf,

You wrote:

It is interesting that your surface Psa. 89:27 here in connection with Col
1:15. I researched this very topic over the weekend. What I found was in
line with your thoughts. The only critical commentary I cound find on Psa
89:27 was T.K. Abbott and H.A.W.Meyer. However, both reject Psalm 89:27 as
having any connection with Col 1:15. Abbott notes that Psa 89:27 speaks of
the *result* of being placed as BeQWR/ PRWTOTOKOS. That *result* is that he
is higher than the kings of the earth and thus there is no new meaning for
the word. Meyer's argument was that the Psa 89:27 firstborn is not the
PRWTOTOKOS TWN BASILEWN (or, firstborn of kings), but rather, firstborn of
God. Thus, although Ps 89:27 is frequently used as an example of exclusion
from the group, the claim has no base. I tried to argue against this
conclusion in my mind, but their arguments are quite sound. This adjusts my
thinking on the verse and causes me to reject Ps 89:27 as a parallel to Col
1:15. More modern commentators should highlight this exegesis of Psa 89:27.

BTW, T.K. Abbott was so theologically frustrated commenting on Col 1:15 that
he stated that there is no satisfactory semantic category for the genitive
KTISEWS after PRWTOTOKOS, although every example of LXX use is partitive
when not possessive (such as "my firstborn").

In conclusion, the charge of bias does not apply to those who translate as
"firstborn of all creation", but to those who would translate it otherwise.
The solution, I propose, is to seek an understanding of TA PANTA ("all
things" 1:16) that is in harmony with PASHS KTISEWS ("all creation" 1:15),
which resolves the "context problem."

Sincerely,
Wes Williams

Note: this understanding has nothing to do with the doctrines of Arius, but
with the text itself.