b-hebrew - Re: (&H + (M + XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: (&H + (M + XSD
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:08:00 -0700

Paul wrote:
> The first has to do with the very common collocation of (&H and
> (M with XSD. In Ruth, it is found in 1:8. Just because it is
> used frequently does not necessarily mean that the construction
> is completely understood. The English and Tagalog versions to
> which this group referred when they got stuck with the
> construction all handle this as a description of God's dealings
> with the young widows as compared with their dealings with their
> husbands and with Naomi. Based on that, the group took the
> phrase as equivalent to, "May YHWH treat you with XSD." However,
> the question came up if this phrase could not come close to
> meaning, "May YHWH make XSD accompany you." The implication here
> is that XSD has YHWH as its source, but it may be actually seen
> in the dealings with others beside YHWH. IOW, XSD plays a bit
> more active role, almost like a catalyst.

I can see how this idea could develop, but since the phrase is
explicitly compared to the way the daughters-in-law dealt with their
late husbands and with Naomi, I'm not sure the context will sustain
it. I would lean toward the first option.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

  • (&H + (M + XSD, Paul Zellmer, 03/19/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: (&H + (M + XSD, Dave Washburn, 03/22/1999