b-hebrew - (&H + (M + XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: (&H + (M + XSD
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:12:43 +0800

I have recently set a small group of my students on an assignment
to try their hand at drafting the book of Ruth into the local
language. Because they are not overly familiar with the book in
any language, and because their task is more involved than the
study group mentioned on the list here a couple weeks ago, their
progress is by no means as rapid as that other group's seemed to
be.

The guys have come up with a couple questions that they wanted
posed to the list. Because they really are not related, I'll ask
them in separate postings.

The first has to do with the very common collocation of (&H and
(M with XSD. In Ruth, it is found in 1:8. Just because it is
used frequently does not necessarily mean that the construction
is completely understood. The English and Tagalog versions to
which this group referred when they got stuck with the
construction all handle this as a description of God's dealings
with the young widows as compared with their dealings with their
husbands and with Naomi. Based on that, the group took the
phrase as equivalent to, "May YHWH treat you with XSD." However,
the question came up if this phrase could not come close to
meaning, "May YHWH make XSD accompany you." The implication here
is that XSD has YHWH as its source, but it may be actually seen
in the dealings with others beside YHWH. IOW, XSD plays a bit
more active role, almost like a catalyst.

I hope I stated their question in a way that is somewhat
understandable.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph

  • (&H + (M + XSD, Paul Zellmer, 03/19/1999