b-hebrew - Re: Bible translations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: lorencrow AT earthling.net (Loren Crow)
  • To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan AT texcel.no>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bible translations
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:19:32 -0600

Has this list changed from a list concerned generally about the Hebrew
Bible to a list that is narrowly focused on the Hebrew language? The
description of the list that I received when I subscribed described the
list in the former way.

As for whether there will be a flame war over the NWT, I see no evidence
that such is developing, only quite legitimate (and interesting! Thanks,
Rolf!) discussions of a particular translation in connection with
translation theory.

Loren Crow

At 8:59 AM 3/9/99, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Is this really a thread about biblical Hebrew? Global assertions about the
>quality of a bible translation probably won't help us understand the Hebrew
>better.
>
>Jonathan

# Loren D. Crow, Ph.D. ++ Office Phone: (903) 927-3219 #
# Department of Religion ++ Fax: (903) 927-3337 #
# Wiley College ++ #
# 711 Wiley Avenue ++ Email: lorencrow AT earthling.net #
# Marshall, TX 75670 ++ Web: http://www.texramp.net/~lorencrow #

Even God cannot change the past.
- Agathon (quoted by Aristotle, NE 6:2,1139)