b-hebrew - Re: Exo 16:6-7, 12-13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exo 16:6-7, 12-13
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:06:59 -0500

Paul asked re Exo 16:13:
> Bryan,
>
> Are you accepting John's statement as quoted below?
>
> John Ronning wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, I think it's still noteworthy that the timeline is
advanced from
> > evening to morning without any help from wayyiqtol, and it still looks
to me that
> > ubabboqer . . . is just as "mainline" as the wayehi clauses.

That narrative time has moved forward? yes. That the X-qatal is "just as
mainline"? no. It is uboqer that moves the time forward, not the verb
form. By using the X-qatal construction the writer makes clear that the
dew had fallen by morning. It is indeed off-the-line, giving the state of
things prior to resuming the mainline of action. To make the same
chronology part of the mainline we would need something like vayipol
hatal...vayehi boqer... "And the dew fell...and morning came..."

hth,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor