b-hebrew - Re: Ruth 1:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Doug Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: 596547 AT ican.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Ruth 1:11
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:35:29 EST

Bryan, Ben, et al,

Ettien Koffi wrote an article 'There is more to "and" than just
conjoining words" in The Bible Translator, Technical Papers v49 #3, July
1998. This article deals with the sometimes sticky (for us, not the
writers) issue of "number resolution rules" in both Greek and Hebrew.
There are patterns of agreement based on word order and proximity of a
pronoun to the verb. Perhaps there is something analogous going on here?

Warmly,
Doug

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 23:05:24 -0500 "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
writes:

>Hi friends,
>
>Bro. Ben wrote re Rut 1:11:
>>
>> I think you will find that when Naomi is addressing her
>daughters-in-law
>> as *married women* she gives them the gender of their late
>husbands; but
>> when she kisses them as *individuals* she gives them their natural
>gender.
>>
><snip>
>
>. All this talk of sons and
>> husbands caused Naomi to use the gender-inclusive masculine LaCeM,
>> instead of the feminine-specific LaCeN.
>>

>Another possibility: The 2 f. p. pronominal suffix --ken is only used
>about fifteen times in the Tanak. The 2 m. p. pronominal suffix --kem
>is
>used without gender agreement with a near verb almost as many times (7
>x).
>In spite of what the grammars say, perhaps --kem is simply a
>functional
>free variation for --ken. Sort of like when we say "does everyone
>have
>*their* Bible?" The rules say we should use the singular *his* or
>*his/her* to agree with the *everyONE*, but plural *their* has become
><ugh>
>a virtual free variation.
>
>The seven hits are as follows: Rut 1:11, 1:13, Jer 44:25, 48:6, Eze
>13:19,
>13:21, 33:26.
>
>I.e., perhaps gender agreement for the 2 f. p. pronominal suffix was
>simply
>a low grammatical-correctness priority.
>
>Shalom,
>Bryan
>

>B. M. Rocine
>Associate Pastor
>Living Word Church
>6101 Court St. Rd.
>Syracuse, NY 13208
>
>315-437-6744(w)
>315-479-8267(h)
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: doug.kasten AT juno.com
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

  • Re: Ruth 1:11, Doug Kasten, 03/01/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Ruth 1:11, John Ronning, 03/01/1999