b-hebrew - The Elohist

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: The Elohist
  • Date: 28 Feb 99 03:30:02 -0800

Dear List Members:

I have been researching the Elohist. His profile and my dating of the
composition perfectly fits Samuel. Essentially, he was concerned with
political theory and his theology is Levitical. Indeed, P learned from
regarding the revelation of the Tetragrammaton. Further, I trace E to 1 Sam
15 after which it get lost in Davidic apologetic traditions. Samuel was
raised by the Levite El after which he became a renown prophet. Because
there are problems with identifying E and Samuel, I am compelled to the
conclusion that the Elohist was one of his prophetic disciples, living during
David's reign most probably in Shechem. Yahweh for E was Yihwah, the first
emanation of Elohim just as Atum was to Ptah. This theology descended from
the priests of Ptah, to Moses, to the Levites, to Eli, to Samuel to the
Elohist to P and finally to 1 John and John's mentioned detractors.

My latest thought. Comments?

Regards,

Lloyd M. Barre, Ph.D.

barre AT c-zone.net