b-hebrew - Re[3]: Alviero: tense and time

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[3]: Alviero: tense and time
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:00:55 -0500

Dear Rolf,

Thank you. But I am not convinced about Turkish: just to rename the
Turkish present tense (from its morpheme) "Suffix-yor" does not stop
it being a morphologically marked present tense. Now one might argue
that the marking has functions other than present e.g. continuous, and
I don't know Turkish deeply enough to argue that one. (On one side,
-du/-di is simple past tense and -yor-du is continuous past or
imperfective; on the other hand, there is no separate non-continuous
present tense in Turkish). I have to suspect Dahl or Olsen of forced
interpretation here.

I accept your argument on the Russian example, but then you have to be
sure that certain uses of Hebrew wayyiqtols are not similarly
idiomatic. The examples with hendiadys I mentioned recently (Lambdin
section 173) may be in this category, also perhaps the poetic use of
two contrasting tenses to indicate complete coverage of time, which
Bryan mentioned (which I found in Ps 2:1,2, though not with
wayyiqtol).

Certainly 500 convincing cases of non-past wayyiqtol will be an
impressive collection - assuming that that is not 490 examples of the
same idiom or something like that. That makes a big difference from
the one or two examples of a usage which people sometimes quote,
especially when these are open to other interpretation. Even if the
interpretation seems somewhat forced (especially if a quite different
one is traditional), it is very hard for us to be sure of what was
meant in a particular sentence. Suppose we had an equivalent to your
German "strahlendes Wetter" example in Hebrew, and no native speakers
to ask about it. Then we would have no way of being sure about it. If
traditionally it had been interpreted as heavy rain (e.g. because the
LXX translators had made a mistake), but someone then proposed that it
means sunshine, we might easily easily accuse them of forced
interpretation, but they would be right. But I would agree that if we
start putting different forced interpretations on a whole list of
verses, perhaps our method is suspect.

Peter Kirk