b-hebrew - Re: WEQATAL NONVOLITIVE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: WEQATAL NONVOLITIVE
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:05:15 -0700

Lee,
> Alviero Niccacci wrote:
> >>BTW weyiqtol is a volitive form, differently from weqatal which is
> non-volitive.-->>
>
> Dear Professor,
> Doesn't weqatal function as continuation of volitive forms? Would you
> say that these functions are not volitive, or that these functions are
> not essential to weqatal, but are continuative only?

I haven't been able to follow this discussion the last few days (I
hope to catch up on it this weekend) so I don't know the context of
Prof. N's statement. However, Galia Hatav has shown, I think
pretty conclusively, that both yiqtol and weqatal are modal forms
(including future under the heading "modal" which she
demonstrates very well). Weqatal, being a modal form, can lend
itself to both volitive and non-volitive (future) uses quite easily.
Hence, the answer to your question would be that no, volitive isn't
an essential feature of it, but modality in a more general sense is
and that's why it can appear in such contexts. Galia, have I
represented your view accurately?

> --
>
> Lee R. Martin
> Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
> Instructor in Hebrew and Old Testament
> Church of God Theological Seminary
> http://www.vol.com/~lmartin/
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: dwashbur AT nyx.net

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur