b-hebrew - Re: wayyiqtol test, Gen 42:6-17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wayyiqtol test, Gen 42:6-17
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:54:58 -0500

Hi John, you wrote:

> explicitly stated you can say it's implied!), but my
> approach would be to render it in English with the word
> "then" in front of it and ask if it's a useful concept for
> the BH interpreter. I personally don't. Gen 4:25 "Then
> Adam knew his wife again. . ."

And how about the use, in 4:1, of the Hebrew root yld and word `od which
back reference use to 4:1? These are just the kind of lexical signal we
need to begin a new sequence from an earlier referenced point.

The use of "then" has to
> make you look to the preceding to find out "when," which
> would be quite confusing in these cases, so it seems to me
> wayyiqtol can't have this "then" force, even if it would
> USUALLY be an appropriate translation.
>
> Another example I used (not paragraph initial):
> Exod 4:20
> wayyiqqax Then Moses took his wife and his sons
> wayyarkivem then he mounted them on a donkey,
> wayyashob then he returned to the land of Egypt.
> (perfective > complete action > he arrived
> in Egypt?)
> wayyiqqax then Moses took the staff of God in his hand
>
> 3 out of 4 "thens" make sense but the last I think tells us
> the BH writer needs no special permission to depart from
> chronological sequence when using wayyiqtols >> the last
> must be simply "Moses also took"

I think we should include under the umbrella of sequence the concept
*logical* sequence. Include as an option for translation the English words
"so" or "consequently." "Moses returned to Egypt, so he took the staff of
God in his hand." I think the choice of the wayyiqtol in the last clause
shown above details that Moses went to Egypt prepared.

> It did occur, to me, however, that perhaps there is a way
> for us to reach agreement - you described well some reasons
> for why the narrator may depart from the usual sequential
> narration of
> events. I think such analysis is quite useful as a
> description of the story-telling technique, as long as we
> can divorce it from the idea of an inherently sequential
> meaning of the form. Is that a possibility?

sure. And I think it's important to develop a model for understanding the
meanings of the verb forms as a co-exercise with the search for their
functions (e.g. when describing how the verb forms are used in
story-telling technique).

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine