b-hebrew - Re: wayyiqtol test, Gen 42:6-17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wayyiqtol test, Gen 42:6-17
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:17:05 -0500

Hi John, you wrote:

> Dear Bryan,
>
> Thanks for your detailed response re. Gen 42:6-17. I don't
> agree that I have presented a caricature of the position
> that wayyiqtol is inherently sequential - I'm just assuming
> that you mean what you say (like Peter does). It looks to
> me like you make a good case that wayyiqtol is not
> inherently sequential, but then you want to call it such
> anyway, and I don't understand why.

Well, our discussion has become a touch tedious, perhaps, because of just
this point. We all seem to know how the form *works*, but we cannot agree
about what the inherent meaning is. Anyhow, there are no doubt many
sequence-initial wayyiqtols. Can a sequential form be sequence-initial?
What do you think? I have sketched my reason for thinking it may be. And
I do believe we can establish rules for identifying when wayyiqtol is
sequence initial.

What do you think, Dave, is wayyiqtol a preterite?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor