b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Peter)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:23:06 -0700

Peter,
> The problem I see with your sort of approach is that it explains
> nothing.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. In English we have a "simple"
past tense that is not marked for anything in particular; in Greek
we have the aorist, which is essentially the same thing; my
approach sees the WP as comparable (though not equivalent) to
this type of form. Please develop "explains nothing" in more detail?

At least you are trying to make some sort of syntactic
> distinction between wayyiqtol and X-qatal. Some contributors seem to
> be trying to say that there is no semantic difference between the
> different verb forms but all is a matter of pragmatics.

Yes. I assume thata different form must signal something, we're
just not sure what yet.

> When you put forward your hypothesis on X-qatal, I may well try to
> shoot it down. Doubtless (unless it is so vague as to be
> unfalsifiable) I will find possible counter-examples, and you will
> explain them according to your hypothesis and/or modify your
> hypothesis. But I will not feel that I have been set up, rather that
> you are the one who has made yourself a target. Surely this is part of
> normal academic debate.

When I mentioned being set up, I was referring to the statement
that it would take more than a handful of examples (my phrase, not
yours, of course) to falsify it. Basically I was asking how big the
playing field is. And yes, this sort of thing is part of academic
debate, one of the more fun parts IMO, and yes, I'm working on a
hypothesis of the x-qatal as well as the weqatal. After looking at
several more examples, I'm backing away from my previous
suggestion (that's all it was) that it's not really a separate syntactic
feature.

> PS I was not trying to make a Jacob-Esau and Ephraim-Manasseh parallel
> based on linguistics, but on general theological themes. Sorry if that
> goes beyond the scope of this list, but it is here (unusually!) a
> valid part of the argument for a linguistic point.

Of course. I had no problem with that, and as far as I know neither
did anybody else. I find the "general theological themes" more
than a little tenuous, and in the absence of any real linguistic
connection, I'm not sure I buy the parallel idea. That's all.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur