b-hebrew - Judges 11:29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Judges 11:29
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:06:19 -0500

If the LXX reflects the original text of Judges 11:29, then the last
clause has no verb. I believe it would read:
"And the spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed over
Gilead, and Manasseh, and he passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from
Mizpeh of Gilead to the other side of the children of Ammon."

I would appreciate any other examples of this kind, where a final clause
does not repeat the verb. Can any of you think of some examples that
would parallel this one? I am writing a paper on Judges, so this is
very important to me.

By the way, the verb does not require the preposition "to." See Judges
18:13.
Another question: What is the difference between "Gilead" in the second
clause and "Mizpeh of Gilead" in the last clause?

--

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee