b-hebrew - Re: Unloading the Burden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Unloading the Burden
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 99 22:39:21

On 10 Feb 99 (11:15:48), barre AT c-zone.net wrote:
> Dear Fellow List Members:
> [snippage] .... I am calling for an assessment of my proposition
> that El and Yahweh are historically the two gods of two distinct
> peoples.
[snip]
> Thus, the adoption of my proposition has some far-reaching
> ramifications which I have here tried to illustrate. It is these
> considerations that would have me challenge the academic community to
> consider the basic proposition that El is not Yahweh.

Hmmm. The OT shows that the Patriarchs worshipped 'eL the God of the
nomad; the Canaanites worshipped Ba`aL the God of the agriculturalist.
'eL has his sanctuary where he may be consulted; Ba`aL is a /numen loci/,
a god of a place. The function of 'eL is personal: to meet with
individuals and answer questions related to their personal life; whereas
Ba`aL is a personification of the forces of nature (e.g. fertility).
Elijah made it clear that Ba`aL is not YHWH! (1 Kings 18:39).

Patriarchs worshipped 'eL under 6 designations:
1. 'eL `eLYoWN QoNeH ShaMaYiYM Wa'aReTs, Genesis 14:19.
2. 'eL ShaDDaY "who is sufficient"; LXX PANTOKRATWR. Genesis 17:1, when
Abraham and Sarah are in a hopeless situation. Genesis 43:14, where Jacob/
Israel commends his sons to 'eL ShaDDaY when sending them back to Egypt.
Gensis 48:3, where Jacob identifies 'eL ShaDDaY with 'eL BeTheL...
3. 'eL `oWLaM the God of Eternity. Abraham and Abimelech propose a
covenant in perpetuity, Genesis 21:23 LiY uWL:NiYNiY uWL:NeK:DiY. To mark
it, Abraham plants a tamarisk tree and calls upon YHWH 'eL `oWLaM,
Genesis 21:33.
4. 'eL BeYTheL, Genesis 31:13. Not a place-name; the place was called Luz
before. 'Bethel' was Jacob's summary word for a profound religious
experience. The reappearance of 'eL-BeTheL in Padanaram shows 'eL is no
territorial deity.
5. 'eL Ro'iY, Hagar's description of God after an angel met her. The
God who sees me; or, the God who lets me see him. 'aTTaH 'eL Ro'iY.
Compare Be'eR LaCaY Ro'iY, Genesis 16:13-14.
6. 'eL 'eLoHeY-YiS:Ra'eL, Genesis 33:20. The God of personal encounter,
'the God who is my God'. Jacob/Israel had wrestled at Peniel. He had
received a new name, and had returned to Canaan where he bought a piece
of land (the earnest of the promised possession?). YHWH now is the God
of Abraham and Isaac; he is the God of the Ladder vision. The Land *whereon
thou liest* will be the inheritance, Genesis 28:13. Jacob got his household
to put away all their foreign gods, and go with him back to Bethel
(Genesis 25:1ff).

Yes, 'eL is the God of Israel. But this 'eL *reveals Himself* as YHWH,
Genesis 21:33. From Genesis 12 onwards the name YHWH occurs 116 times.
45 of these indicate Patriarchal knowledge of the Name. YHWH 'eL `eLYoWN,
Genesis 14:22. YHWH was the name *by which they called God*; not the name
by which they knew him (Exodus 6:3). YHWH was to them a word of denotation,
not a word of connotation.
Genesis 17:1, YHWH appears and says "I am 'eL ShaDDaY".
Genesis 21:33, Abraham called upon YHWH 'eL `oWLaM.
Genesis 14:18, Melchisedek attributes Abraham's victories to 'eL `oWLaM,
but Abraham interprets this in terms of YHWH, Genesis 14:22.

*The name YHWH was not in itself a vehicle of revelation; the nature of
YHWH is given only in 'eL categories.* The exception to this is
Genesis 22:14, YHWH-YiReH, who provided substitutionary sacrifice *not
in 'eL terms*. Also YHWH brought Abram out of Ur (Genesis 15:7). So
when YHWH tells Moses "I am YHWH" in connection with a deliverance from
Egypt, Moses can make the deduction that YHWH is the God who made the
covanant with Abraham (Exodus 6:2-8). So, Genesis knows the Name but not
the Nature of YHWH; Exodus knows the Name AND the Nature of YHWH.

In Exodus 6:3 YHWH becomes in its own right a meaningful name and not a
title. YHWH was known "in the character of" (Beth essentia) 'eL ShaDDaY,
"but [by] my name YHWH I was not known to them". [By] is omitted in the
Hebrew; but in the second leg of the parallelism it is required to be
inserted: another /Beth Essentia/.

Do we have as many gods as titles? NO! They are calling on the same
God throughout.
1. There is no suggestion in Genesis of a multiplicity of 'eLiYM.
2. There are statements of Monotheism in Genesis: e.g. 14:19, where
'eL `eLYoWN is Possessor QoNeH of heaven and earth on a cosmic scale;
Genesis 18:25 "Judge of all the earth" is a monotheistic statement.
Compare Joel ("YHWH is 'eL") who has YHWH as Judge of all nations
(Joel 4:2, 12).
3. The titles all interlock to some extent. The God appearing in
Jacob's dream is both YHWH and 'eL BeTheL (chapter 28); and in Gen 48:3
YHWH is identified with 'eL ShaDDaY and with 'eL BeTheL.
4. The use of the phrase "the God of the Fathers" throughout the
Patriarchal stories (Genesis 26:24, 28:13, 31:29, 32:9, etc).

That's enough for now

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF