b-hebrew - Re: Gen 4:1,'rule?'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 4:1,'rule?'
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 05:31:54 -0500

dear bryan,

>The rule, [X-Qatal is not sequential--rb] while perhaps not absolute, is
overwhelming.
>Given world knowledge, some of the
>above examples *could* be sequential and therefore moving story time
>forward. However, I think only one, Jon 1:4, is a clear example of an
>X-qatal which moves forward the story time.

we differ here. the evidence for the rule is not overwhelming. 'x-qatal
mismatch' is part of the flexibility inherent in a language with a small
number of explicit options.

even moabite:
... and so israel perished forever.

more importantly, both writer/reader, speaker/listerner, are able to use
the mismatch of real-world knowledge and grammatical 'pause/backtrack'
structure for rhetorical effect. see buth 1995 for additional detail.
on jonah 1.4 above, 1.4a begins a new structure/paragraph. 1.4c is a
rhetorically underlined, pregnant predicament, inciting incident.
(1.5b is your run-of-the-mill, plain vanilla backtrack.)

braxot
randall buth

  • Re: Gen 4:1,'rule?', yochanan bitan, 02/10/1999