b-hebrew - Re[8]: The Origins of the Divided Monarchy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: barre AT c-zone.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[8]: The Origins of the Divided Monarchy
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 11:58:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear Lloyd,

Thank you for your clarification.

I understand better the logical basis of your method, which is based
on one presupposition which you have been honest enough to make clear:

"One very important assumption that no one seems to question regard s
the reality of Yahweh acting in history in which he speaks, directs,
appears and so forth. Because I personally could n ot defend the view
that Yahweh is any different from any other god, that is that he is a
mythological creation, I would also for that reason dismiss regarding
him a s real source of historical causation."

In other words, you are presupposing an atheist or deist world view,
or possibly a theist one in which Yahweh is not identified with the
deity. You will realise that that is the basic difference between your
approach and that of many others on this list. If we all recognise
such differences, I hope we can continue discussions based on respect
for one another's differing viewpoints.

Peter