b-hebrew - Re: The Origins of the Divided Monarchy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Origins of the Divided Monarchy
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 09:52:45 +0200

I think I have already pointed out in a previous posting that the
origins of the Northern tribes and the Southern tribes were different to
begin with, that the etymology of Benjamin indicates that it was once
the southernmost tribe, and that at the time the Song of Deborah was
written, Judah and Simeon were not counted among the Tribes of Israel.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College