b-hebrew - Re: Different verb forms - same meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Different verb forms - same meaning?
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:22:44 +0800

Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG wrote:

> I think this is another instance similar to Numbers 2 and 3, which I
> asked about on this list not so long ago. See the thread "Discourse in
> Numbers" started by me 5th December 1998, if it's in the archives. I
> haven't looked at this Joshua example in detail, but if the parallel
> holds, it supports my preference that Numbers 3:21ff is essentially
> desriptive ("this is what they did") rather than jussive ("this is
> what they should do") in meaning. But then perhaps the Joshua passage
> is jussive ("the boundaries are to be such-and-such") - is that
> possible?

Peter,

The problem with that interpretation of this passage is that the yiqtols in
this
passage are either wayyiqtol or are not clause-initial. If this passage were
jussive,
would we not expect the jussive to fill some of the clause initial slots? The
predominate clause-initial form is weqatal. And, while this is the mainline
form for
both instructional discourse and predictive narrative, I personally do not
see these
descriptions as being sequential, which would be a feature of each of those.

I'll try to refresh my memory on what you were proposing about Numbers 2 & 3.
If I
have anything to add, I'll get back to you.

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph