b-hebrew - Re: Periphrastics in Is 2:2 and Micah 4:1 (retransmission)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Periphrastics in Is 2:2 and Micah 4:1 (retransmission)
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:47:38 +0800

Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG wrote:

> Another thought: Maybe Isaiah was adjusting the metre to make better
> poetry: Micah has regular three beat lines and then the intrusive
> W:)FM:RW., whereas Isaiah has a 3-4-4-3-4 pattern (putting the two
> short lines together). Actually that line structure suggests a
> different parallel of B:RO)$ with W:NI&.F) and tends back to the
> latter being a participle.

I liked the first (the omitted) discussion, but this one really made me
think. Poetry
*would* allow some freedom with forms like paraphrastics, so maybe my initial
thinking
isn't so far off. Anyway, I don't even care to analyze poetry in the
English, so I am
really in deep kimchee here!

Thanks,

Paul